Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

how NOT to steal; how TO create change

have you seen this yet?
if not, it's pretty interesting.

been following the site and story for a couple weeks now, but what prompted me to post was this posting by evan:

I also got an email from a person who seemed rather upset at me. He asked me why I would waste everyones time with this Sidekick story instead of focusing on people being killed all over the world. And he's right... Kind of... I am writing about what I know. I have no knowledge of writing about someone else's life. Instead of being upset at me, this person should go start a blog of his own... and get the word out.. And hopefully people will listen... But to me mad at me about writing about what I know...just seems silly.

maybe it's a stretch, but i was in arguments with folks last month about the activism regarding the ocean beach fire policy... the gist: is local and narrowly focused activism about small or banal issues lame and not worth either pursuing or supporting? my hearty and strongly worded response is NO!!!

more when i have time--i've been meaning to write about this for weeks and weeks.

Comments:
that sidekick story was weird and i'm not 100% sure i agree with the way it was handled.

however, regarding this:
"is local and narrowly focused activism about small or banal issues lame and not worth either pursuing or supporting"??

i think it's entirely the opposite. if everyone in every corner of the world were to start caring about and doing something about their small, local, "banal" issues, the world would have very few problems left to solve.

"think globally, act locally" is very wise advice and a credo to live by, i think.
 
semi-related and in the news this morning, what do you think about berkeley putting a GW impeachment resolution on their Nov ballot?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/29/BAGDHJM8JV1.DTL
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?