Saturday, January 15, 2005

 

fear

tuesday morning i woke up at 6am to the loudest sudden noise that i can remember ever hearing. i thought it was an explosion. it took me several minutes to figure out what it must have been--thunder. but i was *terrified*. i couldn't get past the possibility that there could have been a bomb exploding near my apartment. the fear was exacerbated by the fact that there was no more thunder after that one peal--it just seemed so strange to me that there would just be the one thunderclap and no more. i couldn't fall back asleep. i haven't been that scared in a really long time. if there had been someone around for me to creep into bed with, you better believe i would have been there in a flash. i left the house around 7 and went to get some food before work. i kept my ears and eyes open for some indication that there had actually been an explosion in my neighborhood, but of course i didn't see any. i found out later that the thunder i heard was paired with a flash of lightning that struck the ground somewhere very close to my house.

it was strange and unsettling to feel such powerful fear about something so irrational.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?